Who are you and what is this place?
Hi. I’m Mayo, the creator of this website.
The purpose of my work is to share the most practical ideas and proven strategies backed by scientific research to help you master your habits, perform better at your work and improve your heath (mentally and physically).
I don’t have all the answers and I’ve got much more to learn on my journey, but I do share whatever I find that could be useful to you.
You’re not alone. We’re a small (growing) community of passionate individuals driven to become the best person we can be. You’re welcome to join us—“We think differently and are crazy enough to believe that we can change the world.”
I’ll dive into more details about myself below, but for now if you would like to join our little community and learn how to master your habits for a healthier, better life, simply enter your email address below and click “Get Updates!”
No matter your personal battle—whether you’re striving to become a better entrepreneur, athlete, professional, artist, parent or friend—the core purpose of my work is to help you close the gap between where you are today and where you want to be tomorrow.
I’m on a mission to create a world where individuals live out their full potential in their work and personal lives. I believe that the world will be a better place, if we had more people living out their vision and sharing their best work with the world.
If I can change one life for the better, they can go on and change the next and so on. By doing so, I hope to create a ripple effect throughout society that eventually helps everyone live a healthier and better life as a result.
The best way I have found to drive this change is by sharing the best practical ideas, resources and tools to help you master your habits, improve your performance and overall health.
To do this, first, I research the latest proven scientific insights on human behaviour change and psychology that you can use to change your habits.
Then, I study the daily habits and rituals of highly effective entrepreneurs, athletes, artists, leaders and so on— to uncover the hidden common traits that separate the top 1% performers from the rest of the pack.
Finally, I blend and distill all of these insights —at the intersection of business, art, science and health—into simple, easy-to-understand, highly practical strategies you can easily and quickly apply in your life.
My dream is to be the catalyst for this movement of change, where I walk hand in hand on a mission with people who are driven to become better at their craft—with people who are passionate about contributing back to society—with people who think differently and are crazy enough to believe that they can change the world.
And yes, that includes you too.
Life events and Fun Facts
Here are some life events and fun facts about myself you may find interesting…
- When I was about 10 years old, I would draw non-static cartoon characters straight from live episodes on TV and since there was no technology to pause the screen, I had to wait for the next still image of the character or another episode just to complete drawing the face. As frustrating as this was at the time, this was how I initially learnt how to draw cartoons.
- When I first joined high school as one of a tiny handful of black kids in a predominantly white school, the sports coaches and students were a bit let down to learn after my 6th place finish in the 100m trials, that I wasn’t going to be the next Usain Bolt or athletic superstar for the school. Although, I was a relatively decent all-rounder at sports and athletics, my strengths were in art and writing.
- After a dare from a friend who promised he would participate in a bungee jump with me (I was scared of heights at the time), I jumped off a high crane overlooking the ocean in a terrifying experience and jump I will never repeat again (photo). Oh and btw, my friend didn’t even show up… let’s just we haven’t been in touch as much afterwards.
- In 2012, in another attempt to conquer my fear of heights, I enrolled in a solo sky dive beginners training course (not tandem—I personally don’t like the idea of having grown men on my back in that fashion, but please do whatever works for you). The first time we took off into the sky, there were 12 of us beginner skydivers squashed like sardines in a military style plane during the winter season (important note: I was sat last on the queue). After the first 11 had risked their lives by jumping out of the plane, I was called to seat at the very edge of the exit of the plane with my legs dangling out into the sky as there were no plane doors in use. Just before i could jump out, the lead trainer grabbed my parachute backpack and pulled me back into the plane. He informed me that it was too windy to jump and I would have to wait till the next day (imagine the nightmares i had that night). The next day I finally completed my first solo skydive and have almost rid off my fear of heights (I’m still a little scared). You can see a still frame picture of this (here)…yes my technique is very very bad, but I survived anyway.
- My first attempts at online business were a complete disaster. I hosted a bi-weekly podcast featuring young successful entrepreneurs. The only problem was I had no business model and eventually after a little over a year, I closed shop after running out of personal cash to fund what I later realised was a charity not a business.
- I miraculously overturned an inevitable failure predicted by University lecturers in my finals to eventually graduate with good honours. Afterwards, many students caught wind of my story and prompted me to write a book sharing inspirational, practical advice to help them maximise their grades. A good number of these students would go on to exceed or graduate with the University degrees they had hoped for. After analysing these success stories, i noticed that a lot of the high performing students were masters of their own habits and psychology in a way that could be applied to the wider population—this was the initial inspiration for creating this website.
- I’m a Christian—I try my best everyday to stay strong in my faith, be of good character and help those in need ( but, Lord knows how many times I’ve failed…)
- I once delivered a speech in front of a 100 plus strong crowd…hold on, I’m not done yet—I literally prepared the entire speech an hour before the event. Let’s just say the speech didn’t go very well that day.
- If you meet me in person, you’ll probably find yourself spending most of the conversation talking about your passions and hobbies. Don’t worry, I’m not using any psychological tricks on you, I’m just fascinated by what makes people tick.
I could go on and share more, but let’s just say I’m done embarrassing myself for now.
Real Life Habit Changes.
Here are some life changes and useful habits I’ve built over the years. Nothing special or to brag for, I’m only writing this to inspire you and also show that I do practice what I preach on this website.
- Fitness and Strength training. I went from being unfit and out of shape with yo-yo cycles of inconsistency in my workouts (sometimes months apart) to working out on strength training every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for more than 5 years consistently. (In 2014, I hit a Squat P.B. of 5 reps of 100 kg, though this progress would be hindered by a herniated disk injury in my lower back. Since then, I’ve had to completely restructure my training away from heavy weights to a more sustainable programme).
- Healthy eating and weight loss. I went from regularly binge eating sugar laden junk food and drinking soft drinks for dinner to eating a largely clean high-protein diet including a good daily intake of green vegetables, water, cutting off my regular consumption of alcohol and practicing intermittent fasting for more than 5 years till date. This has led more than 30 pounds of weight loss from my body. (Note: I’m far from perfect with my eating, I have the occasional slip-up here and there just like everyone else).
- Writing. I went from procrastinating on writing everyday, afraid of sharing my work publicly to writing and publishing my first book (approx. 50,000 words) which has gone on to improve the grades and change the lives of more than 1,000 students worldwide. Since then, every Monday, I’ve published one new in-depth article on this website without fail.
- Public Speaking. I went from being the shy kid who could barely raise their hands to ask a question in a room of people to confidently and regularly speaking in front of audiences of up to 500 people and more.
- Reading. I went from reading a book whenever I felt inspired (which was once every couple of months) to reading at least one chapter a day from a book for more than 4 years till date.
- Playing guitar. I went from procrastinating on learning to play the guitar to sticking to a self-taught jazz guitar programme, practicing the guitar weekly for 3 years straight and performing live as a rhythm guitarist in front of crowds of up to 100 people.
There are several other areas in my life including business, philanthropy and the like where I’ve built good habits for a better life. But, I assure you in all these cases I’m far from perfect, I fail everyday and have a lot more to learn on this journey.
You’re more than welcome to come along on this journey with me, as we grow together and challenge each other to live a better life, one day at a time.
Just enter your email below and click “Get Updates!”